Reply to post:

How do you call support when the telephones go TITSUP*?

Terry 6 Silver badge

Reply Icon

Oh my God Yes. Back in the, late 70s it must have been (The Manchester Woolworth's fire was just across the way while I was there).

I'd a taken on job after Uni working for a catalogue company. Filing nasty bits of paper into tightly packed plastic wallets. It was pretty clear from these what would happen, since the wallets would start reasonably in order, then quickly become less so. Then ordered again. But each cycle was a new bunch of clerks. The company didn't want to invest money in a decent filing system- or even adequate filing space that would have made the job less physically painful (the wallets cut our fingers to shreds).

So, when I'd had enough of this I first started making a giant ball of rubber bands, then went on to organising competitions for flicking them over the top of the manager's door into his little office.

And finally, having been sent to do an errand one day and realising that I could wander round the building for hours by holding a big envelope, neither being questioned nor missed, I did that until the day we were all taken down to Personnel* and dismissed.

*HR was a distant future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon