Reply to post:

The Rust Foundation gets ready to Rumbul (we're sure new CEO has never, ever heard that joke before)

werdsmith Silver badge

It's interesting and fun how to see how these differences of preference cause these disagreements about programming languages. Also DBMS', computer OS, cars, cameras, phone OS, TV display panels, Hi-Fi, guitars and many more. Always good for a laugh.

I've been playing with RUST, and I like it. I will be doing a lot more of it. But, I have a probably unfounded bias against using libraries with anything but their native language so I still do C/C++ and can't see myself making a switch.

Python, great for quick and dirty jobs and better at glue code than shell. Also essential for Flask which I prefer over Node, though I still need Javascript for browser based stuff.

The one unbearable abomination that should never have existed: Java. Fuck Java and fuck everything about it. What the fuck is the point of that shit? It seems to encompass every point that can be used as a criticism of any programming language and none of the good stuff. I guess its popular because its so easy to use, my cat could hold down a job as a Java programmer - which becomes yet another weakness. It's like VB in that respect.

There you go, if you are massively invested in training and experience or even emotionally one way or the other then you are going to be biased. I'm sure if I had spent a career paying my bills by scratching out Java code then I might feel differently. And the best thing about all this, I'm not even a programmer/coder/developer. I just use this stuff to enable my real work. Most coding is fairly easy and doesn't need dedicated career skillset. Obviously you need a top knob to do your critical aircraft safety stuff (Boeing may be the exception here) or to work on kernels and hardware drivers - or OpenGL and Vulkan (I've messed with shaders and stuff and I won't be doing that again). But I've contributed to space science missions and I even have some work that is due to fly soon (after about 15 years of trying).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon