Reply to post: Re: The way in which this turd is being pushed “top down” makes me want to puke

Keep calm and learn Rust: We'll be seeing a lot more of the language in Linux very soon

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The way in which this turd is being pushed “top down” makes me want to puke

Ugh....yup you're deffo a kernel dev. The only thing missing from your post is a link to a git commit history and imgur link of you standing next to Torvalds with your thumb up while he's shaking someone elses hand.

"how much time you have spent actually working on real world kernels"

You can spend months working on a kernel fix only for it to never be accepted.

I've seen kernel patches accepted over the years that are inferior to random folks submissions that were only accepted because the person that submitted the inferior patch was a "known kernel dev".

There would appear to be a lot more trust than verify in the kernel world. If a patch works and it proves to be solid, it shouldn't matter how much time a person has spent on kernel development. Software developers are ten a penny these days and the law of averages suggests that quite a few of them must have genuine talent regardless of what they have previously worked on.

My definition of inferior patches are ones that are needlessly complicated, don't fully fix the problem, are technically rollbacks, cause regressions etc.

The best solutions often come from fresh eyes because fresh eyes can see things that old eyes can't. This is coming from what the tech space would consider to be an old man.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon