Reply to post: Re: Working on that..

Pulling down a partition or knocking through a door does not necessarily make for a properly connected workspace

Tom 7

Re: Working on that..

Grew up in an ancient old farmhouse. We did some rewiring and at the time got more for the lead cable we pulled out than the new copper cost. Still remember the smell of 300 year old cowshit in the wattle and daub walls when plastering around the new sockets/switches. The whole place was higgledy piggledy and extended out to a garage up against a very large old barn. In the garage about 10' up was a bakerlite box with a big switch on the side. We never looked to closely at it until the barns were turned into houses and in the process it was discovered (by a huge flash and bang from a digger) that this was connected to an old underground mains cable that even the electricity company had forgotten about. We could have cut our bills enormously!

I have an honours in electrical and electrical eng and it always amazes me that I can tell employees to do things I cant legally do myself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon