Reply to post: Optimistically....

Reg reader returns Samsung TV after finding giant ads splattered everywhere

Sgt_Oddball
Windows

Optimistically....

We bought a Sony smart TV (mainly because they last... And last.... And last) as our previous two TV's were Sony's and each of them happily went past a decade of ownership before any issues prompted a replacement (Sony CRT 15 years ago wasn't wide-screen/HD so we bought an early LCD, moved house a few years ago and it didn't fit the front room so we bought a smart TV).

Running Android TV hasn't been too painful (stop giggling at the back), it's had updates, I've monitored its traffic (about same amount as a standard Android device) and it's adverts for other services/devices/notifications are set on a tile row right at the bottom. It requires scrolling down to get to. Past the app tiles, past the input tiles, past the app program recommendations (currently a YouTube play list of MREs rations through the ages eaten by a man far too eager on the items).

Even then, the tiles are all the same size. Nothing is favoured and the ad tiles do have stuff I might want to look into like a new Sony app, where to buy a PS5 and any new features they've added in the last update.

But.... After all this. I'd expect as much considering we invested in a TV that's meant to last at least a decade (3 years in and it's been fine save for the odd TV restart and a green border issue on some home steamed content but fixed some time ago). If the Samsung TV cost the same, I'd expect as much from them, rather than feeling like I've paid to sold to.

Now, get off my lawn so I can go back to playing retro consoles on it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon