Reply to post:

Love or hate your IT dept, money talks – and tech workers are getting more of it

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I read the article and all i can say is i have seen an increase in agencies contacting me because they have seen my CV online but not an increase in wages, i work in the education sector as an IT Manager and i reached my salary top end a few years ago and only get cost of living increase for London, i earn just above £30k per year and if i lived alone i would struggle to stay in London, there wouldn't be any luxuries at all after paying for rent, utilities, food and car expenses.

I worked throughout covid, no breaks, in fact my work load doubled, i single handily created a SharePoint Intranet and learning platform for staff and students to continue to work and learn, while supporting staff at home remotely and often tech support for parents who had tech thrust upon them as the only solution for pupils to carry on learning from home during lock down even though they struggled with computer basics, i answered phone, emails and video conferences daily, into the evenings and even some weekends.

I approached the school after all the hard work i put in for a pay rise, well deserved i thought, well lets just say not enough obviously...

so to my first point i have been looking to see if there is new opportunities which there appear to be a few but a lot of them now demand more of the same position for the same money, our skill sets are not appreciated or valued, instead i get the impression we are expendable / replaceable, plenty more tech guys out there to replace you........

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon