Reply to post: Re: MIPS and RISC-V

Latest Loongson chip is another step in China's long road to semiconductor freedom

Cryptomuseum
Alert

Re: MIPS and RISC-V

Well analysed and said: Personally I fully agree.

And what we see here in Europe is that most programmers in the West are lazy b*stards (I am sorry). Cut and paste policy without thinking. Glueing languages to another without questioning why, and if it is efficient at all... from a code execution point of view. What happens if code efficiency comes in? What happens in China if they open up a can of good Chinese programmers to really *optimize* things?. A good hardware engineer designs something for £2. A better one does it for £1. But what about the code? What hardware does it need? I see this killing the earlier mentioned engineering principle time and time again.

We have more than enough very well performing hardware. There is a real overspill, often with very bad worked out and supported tools, however. And peoplw who do not believe this, they should watch this video to convince themselves: The Rougol interview / presentation with Sophie Wilson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOnpQgn-9s

My conclusion: In the West we need good programmers, not new hardware. In the East they have all parameters set to overrule us in many ways. Very scary....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon