Reply to post:

Computer scientists at University of Edinburgh contemplate courses without 'Alice' and 'Bob'

LionelB Silver badge

Been following that, and won't argue with your summation. In fact I would go a little further: as much as the University supported Kathleen Stock, the academic in question, as far as I'm aware they took no disciplinary action against the (as you say, small minority of) students who overstepped the mark - which I imagine they could have, and in my opinion should have, done.

I note that earlier in the year there had already been a protest - from fellow academics - against the awarding of the OBE to Stock. That's fine - legitimate freedom of expression, which did not cross the line into harassment.

I'll still stand by my position that the UK, on the whole, does not have a massive problem with freedom of expression in academia, and that cases like Stock's, involving small numbers of shouty students, tend to be blown out of proportion to promote a "culture wars" agenda. The situation in the US is arguably more extreme, which reflects their different attitudes to freedom of expression (and more polarised society).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon