Reply to post: Re: Ha, ha, the bias is showing

A Windows 11 tsunami? No, more of a ripple as Microsoft's latest OS hits 5% PC market

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha, ha, the bias is showing

What does is the term "ripple" meant to indicate here? I just took it as an acknowledgement of the MS policy of resting machines allowed to be upgraded.

It might mean comparison of update rate compared to other windows releases in the pastHere's some earlier data -

Computerworld:

> According to Net Applications, Windows 8's online usage share through Dec. 22 was 1.6% of all Windows PCs, an uptick from 1.2% of November. Windows 8 publicly launched on Oct. 26. At the same two-month mark in Vista's release timetable, that OS accounted for 2.2% of all Windows systems, double the month prior. ... By the end of its second month of availability, Windows 7 accounted for 6.2% of all Windows machines, or nearly four times that of Windows 8 as of Dec. 22.

Cio:

> Windows 10's user share of systems running some version of Windows was the slightly higher 3 percent during the same week. (after I month)

So according to this admittedly very rough search result -

8 < Vista < 10 < 7,11

7 and 11 being pretty close.

I never for a moment considered "ripple" to to be playing down the extent to which windows overpowers linux share on personal PC's, let alone the server market or desktops used for software development.

OOOPS - 5% is actually 5% of modern PC's. So maybe it is a ripple.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon