Reply to post: Re: Sounds like they're trying to protect the livelihoods of the buggy-whip makers

Nobody cares about DAB radio – so let's force it onto smart speakers, suggests UK govt review

DuncanLarge Silver badge

Re: Sounds like they're trying to protect the livelihoods of the buggy-whip makers

> Plus, the Internet is much more capable of reliably delivering a 100kbps data stream without bit-errors than a broadcast antenna to most if not all places, (even cars)

Not even close.

I recently went on a trip to cornwall for a week. I was intending on listening to the app of the DAB radio station I typically listen to.

Guess what it was like.

Cant guess? Well, it was f*cking shit! I was lucky if I got a 2G edge connection on most of the trip, and that was on the main A roads and motorways, forget in cornwall itself.

I have long been adamant about the fact that mobile internet is not up to the task, so I luckily loaded a few podcasts onto my phone, plus I had my minidisc player... Yes, you read that right.

I thought that maybe the lot that say "but 4g is great! streaming is the future" were finally going to prove it to me, a fan of "broadcast" over "multicast". Well, looks like I was proved right yet again.

5G will fix it? Funny, thats exactly what they said when 3G came out. Then 4G came out to fix 3G...

So when will it actually work? Its not soon, thats for sure. 5G will do it for a while till everyone is on 5G, then they will se up all the bandwidth and some savy ones will force the phone onto 4G, like me who forces my phone onto 3G just to get more than 1 bar of signal in my home town.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon