Reply to post: Meta-topia*

Zuckerberg wants to create a make-believe world in which you can hide from all the damage Facebook has done

Eclectic Man Silver badge
FAIL

Meta-topia*

This afternoon I'm going to meet a friend. We'll hug (he's a 'huggy guy'), and go to a cafe where we will each choose a coffee / tea or other beverage of choice from a menu neither of us can create at home, and probably each have a cake. We'll chat, then visit a local bookstore to browse.

How much of that could we do in Zuck's Meta-topia?* Well, none of the actual physical stuff, like hugging, drinking or eating. None of the sunshine or showers (I'm in the UK, rain is an occupational hazard for us Brits) or the actual exercise of being out in the fresh air, the smells, and the actual exercise of moving. You cannot get the feel and atmosphere** of being in woodland from a headset.

I lasted about 12m30s into his presentation, and all I could do was wonder if the bicycle, surfboard or exercise machine were just decoration or he actually used them, or, when he said you won't have to type at a keyboard any more, you'll just use a hand gesture, if anyone was thinking of the same gesture I was***.

*"Meta-topia" is now copyright 2021 Eclectic Man :o). 'coz it is the coolest thing I'll invent today.

** https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/90720.html

***I am deeply ashamed of myself and will do penance, eventually.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon