Reply to post:

Ex-org? Not at all! Three and a half years after X.Org Server 1.20, 1.21 is released

bombastic bob Silver badge
Linux

no, Wayland is yet another thing (similar to what Poettering has done) being crammed at us by the 'new, shiny, it is OUR turn now" too-young-to-realize-what-they-are-doing types.

The fact that they do this in open source is NOT the problem (it has happened a LOT with Windows, after all). It's the fact that THEY ARE DOING IT.l Their narrow view of how computers are used (and possible demand that we play with our toys ONLY the way THEY tell us, and no other) just reflects a possible level of arrogance and disdain for normal people.

At least, In My Bombstic Opinion.

If Xorg were going to die I would probably do what I could to fork it. Problem is getting paid for my efforts - I do not have F.U. money and must do consulting gigs to survive. But now, seems good with a new maintainer.

And I am _ALWAYS_ using X11 over TCP with embedded devices running Linux. It just makes sense to edit and build things on them this way.

I have often pointed out where these misconceptions about the user base come from:

a) Marketeers and their "new shiny"

b) Looking ONLY at sales or new installs

c) Poor sampling with surveys (Stack Overflow is NOT a representative sample)

d) living in a bubble world [especially when MOST of the user base is OUTSIDE of your bubble]

e) "It's MY turn, now!!!"

and so on

Wayland sounds MORE like "The Micros~1 way of doing things" i.e. a large bloated monolithic solution vs something more distributed (even to the point of client and server across a network). SystemD is like this, Pulse Audio has been accused of being this, and a LOT of people vote with their installs by choosing Linux distros like Devuan that have NONE of that crap in them [except pulse audio is still there but I believe they're working on a way to get rid of that, too]

Wayland (IMBO) is Change for the sake of Change. So, NO. Just NO.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon