Reply to post: that is more or less expected

Chinese server builder Inspur trains monster text-generating neural network

iced.lemonade

that is more or less expected

the strength of any AI systems, ultimately, depends on the amount of data that is used to train it. the more data it churns, the better result it yields (i am no data scientist, but i feel if the amount of data increases beyond a certain amount, even if the data is biased, its effect will become insignificant - please correct me if i am wrong). in china every message sent, including voice and text messages, through any messaging software allowed in china is analyzed by the central government, for the statewide credit system, and given that the credit system is central to the political system in mainland china, naturally it is given unlimited amount of resources. i don't think any individual company can match the amount of data used to train china's AI - well, maybe if facebook, google and microsoft would pool their resource for a common AI initiative that may have a chance but i don't think that will happen anytime soon. i am not saying that the sharing of data between those 3 companies is a good thing, but technically, it takes a huge effort if the western side want to match, let alone outpace, AI development in china especially in the area of language processing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon