Reply to post: Re: Point

Intel claims first Alder Lake chip is the fastest desktop gaming silicon in the world

David Webb

Re: Point

To me, it seems quite logical. Imagine you're doing a large render of something in Blender. At the moment on my rig, I'm using 1-2% CPU usage just having a browser open and typing this. With P and E cores, all the Blender stuff can be offloaded to the P core, all the background stuff (OS, AV etc.) can be stuck onto the E cores, this frees up the P cores to use 100% of their CPU instead of the 90+% that is only available because of background tasks,

I'm not sure how rendering works, it's just an example, but it could be that the renderer itself has tasks which do not require the full P core, these can be offloaded to an E core whilst the P core continues with the high load stuff. Of course, this wouldn't be as powerful as having ALL the cores as P cores, but how often do you use your CPU at full whack anyhow? The E cores should be more than capable of handling all general daily usage and only use the P cores for bursts which should allow a reduction in electricity usage, and as my gas and electric bill has just doubled, every little helps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon