Reply to post: Re: Apartheid South Africa

Computer scientists at University of Edinburgh contemplate courses without 'Alice' and 'Bob'

LionelB Silver badge

Re: Apartheid South Africa

"... not a great place ..." - a fabulous understatement.

I note you omitted to mention the right to vote, freedom of movement, access to clean water, sanitation, electricity, housing, health services, secondary/higher education and job markets - not to mention freedom from having your genitals violated by police Dobermans, and your children shot in the streets by the military.

Honestly, you have no idea of life in S. Africa pre- and post-Apartheid. I do. I was there. Sure, some leave (probably not nearly as many as leave, e.g., the UK) - and many more arrive, mostly from other parts of Africa. FWIW, I left because under Apartheid in the 70s and 80s I would have been drafted into the army, where I would have had been afforded the unique privilege of shooting at my fellow countrymen and committing atrocities in proxy wars in neighbouring states.

And sure, no-one's claiming it's a utopia - problems with corruption (and don't for a moment imagine the Apartheid regime was not systemically corrupt) and the economy (still seriously skewed by the inequities of decades of Apartheid) are well-known - but maybe try asking said millions how many would prefer to go back to the old order.

Gotta love the Apartheid apologists...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon