Reply to post:

Allegations of favoring visa holders over US workers for jobs cost Facebook just 4 hours of annual profit

doublelayer Silver badge

"None of them seemed to mind that the stability they enjoy is being paid for with mounting national debt. Nor that the stimulus keeping venerable companies afloat also subsidizes bad management and keeps younger companies out of the market."

I fear you may find many who don't care or even don't know about those things. It's not at all limited to migrants. In order for a country to end up in that situation, a lot of its citizens must ignore or support the actions that cause it.

"The Indian EE just laughed when I told him that some Americans would rather work harder on something excellent than be paid well for a career that will be forgotten before they've even retired."

And once again, I'm sure you could find many Americans with the same attitude. In most cases, it's quite reasonable. In computing, we have the chance to make a codebase that will be respected and built on for years. In most other jobs, that's never going to happen. For the millions who work in a position where they won't get to change the company or the product very much, they may prefer to do their job well enough and reserve their profound enjoyment for the rewards of that labor. The number of people who use their pay to work very hard on a hobby, for example, is surprisingly large.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon