Reply to post: Re: I'll be tracked almost everywhere I go...

Reg scribe spends week being watched by government Bluetooth wristband, emerges to more surveillance

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll be tracked almost everywhere I go...

I suspect some charities, for example, exaggerate the risks in order to convince you to part with your money. It seems to me that often charities start with good intentions and then at some part they become "professional" at which point almost any means is fair game if it brings in more money.

As for risks, it depends on how they are stated:

I've seen things like doing X makes you twice likely to get Y; What they don't tell you is the degree of error.Then you discover that your risk was only 1 in a 100 million anyway....

Secondly, if 1 in 3 people die of X and 1 in 3 people die of Y and 2 out of three people die of Z then something is wrong or people die of multiple causes. Either way that rather waters down the message.

Sorry if I'm not being as clear as I'd like it's been a long day..... I'm not a statistician but I've seen some interesting presentations by several statisticians and it's made me realise how easy it is to distort the truth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon