Reply to post: Re: "doesn't make piracy much easier."

German Pirate Party member claims EU plans for a GDPR-compliant Whois v2 will lead to 'doxxing and death lists'

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "doesn't make piracy much easier."

"It's far more difficult to shutdown domain names when they can be created automatically using fake credentials and being unable to identify who's behind"

If you're in law enforcement, it's not that difficult to shut down the accounts and go after their payment method, which is a lot harder to fake. Most of the time when they're not shut down, it's because nobody investigated them, not because they were just too good.

"Did you give a look to the spam your receive? Phishing websites? Botnet and ransomware delivery and C&C?"

Let's consider those then. Phishing is mostly coming from spoofed addresses, meaning they don't need to buy a domain name. Botnets almost never have domain names. Nodes in them may not even have dedicated IP addresses. C&C: domain names are more common here, but they're not either. If the malware writers put in an IP address, they can still route their C&C traffic there.

"It's not possible to allow online what is not allowed in the physical world."

It's very possible and often desirable.

"Can you open a shop wtihout being registered in many different "books"?"

Legally? Not exactly, but sort of. You could have an unofficial shop which doesn't operate as a business, doesn't have financial accounts, and doesn't own or rent property. So long as you tell the tax authorities about the money you make, that's fine. It gets more complex if you want to be bigger, but that small approach is entirely possible.

"Can you publish something physically without registering your publication and identifying who's responsible for it?"

Yes, without difficulty. 1) Buy a printer, 2) print a document several times, 3) distribute the paper however you like. Entirely legal. You are not required to register any publication, and you can still copyright it without having done so. The only places which require registration are authoritarian nightmares, and the method still works there too.

"copyright violation is the smallest issue. There are far worse ones. Just, most people are OK with the worse ones as long as they can get their pirated contents for free... a very myopic and selfish attitude."

Which I have stated that I don't support, and yet you seem to have such a low opinion of me. Your examples of worse ones were above, and they didn't use domain names, so you're not convincing me yet.

"Sure, it won't solve completely the issue, but why let crooks be able to hide very easily when there's little reason to allow that?"

Because anonymity is useful, and because despite what you've claimed, there is little reason to expect that removing it will prevent any crime. Meanwhile, I think domain names are so core to the functioning of the internet that people shouldn't have to be publicly identifiable to host one.

"A whistleblower or activists in danger registers their own domain to publish what they need? C'mon...."

They do, you know. If you're afraid that something will be removed if you publish it on a service, whether because it's illegal or just unpopular, then hosting it yourself works pretty well. If it is really illegal, law enforcement can have the domain name and hosting cut.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon