Reply to post: Re: "He appears not to have read draft article 23"

German Pirate Party member claims EU plans for a GDPR-compliant Whois v2 will lead to 'doxxing and death lists'

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "He appears not to have read draft article 23"

"But I guess many will agree on the call centre issue, but won't on domains because they are driven by greed,"

Not my reasoning. For one thing, call centers will spoof IDs until the laws against that are enforced or the protocol is updated to prevent it. Requiring an ID to operate a phone number won't get either done.

Having a domain name without an identity connected to it doesn't make piracy much easier. The governments still have the ability to shut down the domain name and collect information such as the payment method used to register it. If you view IDs on items used to pirate media as a justified response, you would have to collect them for lots of other things. Internet connections, including temporary ones on a public network, for example. Also the equipment you use at the end of those lines, meaning all computers. You'd also want to identify any user of an online service which could share information, because they could put copyrighted information up there or identify the system on which it's found. You could make a case for registering each IP address and each general-purpose computer as a measure against copyright violation. I think that, if you did, it's a terrible idea and has several worrying risks, and I think they apply similarly with domain names.

In my opinion, there are few items dangerous enough that their purchase should be recorded for the use of law enforcement. Any item added to that list needs a lot of justification, and so far I haven't been convinced by any argument about domain names being that dangerous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon