Reply to post: Re: Ok, I'll switch!

Devuan debuts version 4.0 – as usual without a hint of the hated systemd

Anonymous Coward
Megaphone

Re: Ok, I'll switch!

Pipewire has only really recently started being considered vaguely stable. You play with software with sharp edges then you get cut 8) I tried it out nine months back, and reverted back to Pulse quite quickly. Two weeks ago I reinstalled it (and also got my TPM 2.0 working but that's besides) and it works rather well for me. This is on Arch.

Today I wasted a few 10s of minutes on a laptop with the latest W10 that decided to stop using the built in mic and the first effort with a USB one. It used to work until roughly last Patch Tuesday. Sound is hard, really hard to get right for all use cases. There are so many combinations of hardware, software and your perception.

Do give it another go but make sure you are close to but not on the absolute bleeding edge. Or wait a year or two and everyone will be using it.

Sound on Linux, for me, is getting pretty decent. I use my laptop and the built in mic and speakers work as well as possible - ie quite shit. I plug in my Logitech one ear n mic boom USB thingie and it works. I pop my Samsung Buds in and they work too via Bluetooth. If I don't make changes too often or too quickly then everything from browser to Teams (soz) gets it right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon