Reply to post: Re: Without Facebook...

The planet survived six hours without Facebook. Let's make it longer next time

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Without Facebook...

"And as to businesses that assume I have to have a Facebook account to deal with them...well, I'll forget them as well."

I had to fight like crazy to get rid of Text, but I managed. It's hard to drill it into customer's heads that I don't do Text. They still try to send messages to my land line as well and most of the time their system doesn't indicate a failure. At one time I analyzed how Text was working for me and found it wasn't. An interaction that would take less than 5 minutes by voice would take 20-30 minutes via Text. If I needed several bits of information, I'd have to send one line for each request as nobody would answer in a way that made sense if I didn't. I couldn't be doing anything else while texting. Texts go missing and are never seen again. Texts get delayed. Just recently I was out with a friend and he received a text from his wife. He called her right back only to find she had sent the text the day before and long since had gone to the store and bought what she needed. I already have a good system for managing email. My accounting system's CRM can clip on to emails so I can reference them to a job. Perhaps I can do that with Text, but it would just duplicate what I already have spent hours getting perfected for no gain.

Adding social media accounts would drive me BSC. It's highly unlikely to add to my revenue but could easily rob my time/profits. My biggest accounts are far less leading edge and still use the post for things. The people that want me to have an instapintatwitface account are Remora and I want nothing but sharks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon