Reply to post:

Apple warns sideloading iOS apps will ruin everything

doublelayer Silver badge

I could make that argument about a lot of things, but it's always fallacious. The general public makes plenty of mistakes with tech, just as we probably make plenty of mistakes with those things we know less about. However, we don't take away our own rights to make decisions, nor should they be taken away from someone else who knows less than we do. Everyone makes a mistake from time to time, and that's no reason to treat them unfairly.

For that matter, I recently made a mistake with technology (a computer stopped booting to Windows and gave me an automatic restore screen instead, and I foolishly thought starting the restore would run a fsck and restart, but it instead chose to do a wipe and reinstall, destroying all the data). Should my right to make system decisions be revoked, even though I knew enough to boot to Linux and do some command-line investigation to find out that this had happened and cleanly reinstall? If we're to decide what rights others have because we know more than they do about the tech, I don't think we want to know all of the rights someone else would take from us on the same basis.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon