Reply to post: Re: TFTFY

Ad-blocking browser extension actually adds ads, say Imperva researchers

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: TFTFY

The number of people actually using Lynx to browse the web must be miniscule. The numbers attempting to use it to do business over the internet must be a miniscule subset of that miniscule number. The number of business who care about that will be approximately zero.

As for outdated browsers - if you're using it to browse the internet, you are going to get updates. I can't remember the last time I had to actually upgrade a browser manually, and most people are using devices that have a lifespan of a couple of years, maybe five at most. You and I may be sat at a desktop PC, or well specced laptop, but most people are either on their phones, with an 18-24 month upgrade cycle, or using tablets or laptops whose batteries will be dead within three.

Tell me honestly, how many people do you know using a machine that is older than 5 years? Admittedly, parts of my desktop machine are older than that, but I'm hardly going to be a typical user. Not a lot of people build their own PCs, and even then, I have a box full of bits and bobs that are obsolete. The only bits that I am likely to retain for many years are things like power supplies and case fans.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are typical of the customers that most sites want to attract. They couldn't care less if you are running an ancient version of X-Mosaic on a Linux distro from 1998, or IE 6, or a minority browser that was created as a fork of the old Firefox code base. I can guarantee you that you aren't their target customer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon