Reply to post: Re: Tesco

Apple warns sideloading iOS apps will ruin everything

Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Tesco

I hate Tesco's snooping. Have you noticed that their Party Membership Card Clubcard uses an Aztec code that contains far more information than just the card number? For example:

9794021234567890:RLNHUWE2OPINQFnIUIcmHJxHJm9enVEDMQ1CXEBFkNPBgCsIWHMozNX7+BgX

(Only the bit before the colon is required.) They initially give you a card and two fobs, and if you look closely, you'll see that each has a unique set of 60 gobbledegook chars added to the end. I got annoyed with this, so I've changed mine to things like:

9794021234567890:TRACKINGPe0p1eUsingAZTECCodesIsKindOfCR33PYSoISp00fedThis0ne

and

9794021234567890:IM0nlyDoingTHIS7oAnn0yYou3utIDONTEvenKNOWIfANYONEWill533This

and printed out replacements to sellotape over the originals. They apparently work fine. (I take care to use the optical rather than contactless scanner. I also gave them a fake name, FWIW: I only want it for the "Clubcard price" so-called discounts, so once I have the cards, the address can be changed to that of a random sorting office...) I know these numbers are obviously still unique, but it's a matter of principle. If I actually had a smartphone, I'd consider writing a little app to randomize it every time (yes, I know all of this is pointless, but it's also fun).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon