Reply to post: Re: Only the strong survive

Acer expands its antimicrobial PC offerings – with caveat they may not offer any protection

ShadowSystems

Re: Only the strong survive

I used to use a "keyboard condom" to keep my work keyboard somewhat cleaner than the others around me, but then I noticed that one of the coworkers on a different shift kept removing it "to make typing easier". I took to bringing in a personal keyboard, swapping out the work one during my shift, & taking mine home with me at shift change.

Now that I don't have to share my stuff with anyone anymore, I still use a "keyboard condom" of sorts -- I've slipped it inside a bread loaf bag & folded the open end under so the weight of the keyboard keeps it closed. I don't worry about crumbs nor drinks getting into the keys, only that I have to go find a new bag every month or so.

If you could find a clear sheet of contact cling film & cut it to fit, couldn't you create something for laptops that kept it as crumbs-free & spill-resistant as possible without causing it to retain so much heat that it essentially toasted itself into an early grave?

I don't imagine it would work for touch screen smartphones/tablets, the film might be too thick to transmit the touch, but would sticking it in a ZipLock baggie work?

Then they would be much easier to clean/disinfect/sterilize...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon