Reply to post:

Meatballs, Abba, and bork: 3 things Sweden is famous for

AndrueC Silver badge
Boffin

I doubt very much that the latest Windows will alllow you to skip loading ten dozens of "services" for which you have no use, and will just bloat the RAM and diminish performance for nothing.

What a strange comment. Why do you think Windows doesn't allow you to disable services? Just launch services.msc and disable whatever you don't like the look of. Or if you prefer the command line:

sc config "Name of Service" start= disabled

sc stop "Name of Service"

I've disabled probably over a dozen services on my personal computers (all running Windows 10). Microsoft has done nothing to stop users disabling services and we remain fully in control of our operating system. Just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean that it can't be done. It's not even hidden information - it's an official part of system configuration.

Anyway we were talking about power consumption not performance so loading RAM up with chuff is fairly irrelevant. But even if we were talking about performance it's an axiom of IT that you address that through hardware. There are still game companies targeting the Windows platform so it appears to have no serious performance issues

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon