Reply to post: interesting one to watch

Booting up: Footballers kick off GDPR case for 'misuse' of their performance data

Cederic Silver badge

interesting one to watch

Instinctively data captured by someone stood to the side watching can't be private personal data. Even player height is probably caveated in the data T&Cs as "Approximation of player height" as it's based on something other than actually measuring the player. Certainly common sense suggests that the player can't be said to own the performance data collected by observation, as it's data about something they did in public.

So I don't think they own it, and I don't think they have the right to control it. To use an awful analogy, it's like me suing my neighbour for telling the council I threw the contents of my cats' litter tray over the fence in to his garden. He's sharing information about something I did, against my will, but really it's unreasonable for me to claim I own that fact and demand he respects my privacy by not sharing it (or pays me for the privilege).

Whether the law agrees is a different matter entirely. I wouldn't like to try and predict this one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon