Reply to post:

The planet survived six hours without Facebook. Let's make it longer next time

steviebuk Silver badge

As much as I hate Facebook (I don't have an account), people do find it useful. My old manager would purely use it to share photos with her relatives in Australia. There is a model maker on YouTube who's really good who uses it as I assume its just so much easier than doing a website. I almost used it for my brother in laws small business as it was just going to be easier for them to manage. I'd setup a Wordpress site but trying to show them how to upload images to it, it just got too complicated.

The main problem is the algorithms I think as the whistleblower said. I'm no expert and I dislike the platform but from what she said, instead of letting AI (not really AI just an algorithm) from deciding content, they should let users decide the content. But they let AI do it as its cheaper and allows them to sell more shit.

What needs to be done however is news papers, online news sites etc, should be told to NOT rely on just one vendor for their logins. The amount of sites that only allow you to login with Facebook just get avoided. They then also have the issue when the site is down, so our their logins.

I'll also add they do, occasionally have interesting info on Facebook that is behind the wall that I can see over, which is annoying. However, since searching for this info again, for some reason I could see what was over the wall without logging in. That info is just history of where I was born and grew up. No longer live in the area but its interesting seeing the past history of it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon