Reply to post: Re: Human persychology fail

Sir Tim Berners-Lee and the BBC stage a very British coup to rescue our data from Facebook and friends

Sherrie Ludwig

Re: Human persychology fail

When these loyalty card things started up in the US where I live, four neighbors and we agreed to use one loyalty card to put all our purchases through. We kept it in my neighbor's mail box (no monetary value if it got taken, so no problem) and took it out to use then replace. Special offers were for whoever needed it at the time, we were just interested in the discounts. So, we looked like a huge family of various age people, we diluted the data snooping to where it was less personal, and we still got the discounts.

Now, for those discounts, you have to use an app on your phone. Which doesn't work. I spent forty minutes at the service desk with a tech savvy(er) employee trying to get my phone to load the app and the discounts. Between the crap wifi at the store, my aged "smart" phone (six year old LG) and the dodgy app, it never did. She ended up loading the discount onto her phone, and processing the checkout for me to pay just so she could get me out of the store before she had to clock-out herself. Maybe if we all took up the employees' time being tech idiots, the stores would just get back to selling us stuff without all the faff.

Oh, and now I load the loyalty app just before I leave the house as though I were a new customer, shop, then delete the app after. Maybe that will keep them from stitching it all together, maybe not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon