Reply to post:

Firewalls? Pfft – it's no match for my mighty spares-bin PC

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I got called in some time ago, to help a two-node Solaris cluster talk again to a two-node Windows cluster via Windows Services for UNIX. The Windows resource had left the company (not by his own will, as many others out there) and nobody could remember how we concocted that solution 10 years ago. Hell, even I was unable to remember what the heck we did. I had left that account in search of greener (and Solaris-less) pastures shortly after we got the solution working on dev/test/prod and properly documented it, and I made sure I had enough beverages to obliterate the Solaris knowledge from my brain.

The guy on the phone sounded pretty nervous, and was trying to engage me to get back into supporting that hybrid monster, and then I recalled the exhaustive documentation me and my Windows counterpart compiled, both from the official documentation and our own painful experience. So I politelly pointed the caller to the account's wiki, and told him all he needed to know was there. It was evidently enough to have them restore the hybrid Hydra to its working state, because nobody else bothered me again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon