Reply to post: Re: "We did not copy Tile"

Unpatched flaw 'weaponises' Apple AirTags to turn them into the phisherman's friend

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "We did not copy Tile"

"the Tile app uses literally every trick in the book (or iOS) to stay running, even if you don't want it to."

I need some help here. If you've installed the Tile app so you can track things like your phone from a unit or participate in the network, why don't you want it to run? That renders both functions useless, and if you didn't want them, you could turn them off. Apple, meanwhile, supports both things because they have their app running all the time, which they can do without hacking because their hacks are written directly into IOS. How is that any different?

When you say that Tile left a hole in the market, what exactly is that hole? The only difference I can see is that Apple's can use UWB which makes them easier to find if close to them, but Tile didn't leave that open, Apple forbade them from using that functionality despite Tile requesting it and protesting the double standard. If that's not the hole you saw, what is?

I don't use either, so you are probably right about reselling them (though they're cheap enough that I don't know how often you would try).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon