Reply to post: Re: Uhh...

US school districts blame Amazon for nationwide bus driver shortage

bombastic bob Silver badge
Childcatcher

Re: Uhh...

I know we're supposed to be auto-sympathetic because "think of the children" but I'm really not seeing it.

See icon (heh)

Seriously why can't kids just WALK to school or ride bikes? Kids who are unwilling to commute THAT way can take mom-Taxi or public transit... right? [for young-uns the school is usually pretty close to where they live UNLESS some school district decides to shift students around for political reasons].

In cases of 'school choice' commutes to non-neighborhood schools by the kids, I suppose THE PARENTS may actually need to provide something... and it may end up being FASTER than the 'short bus'.

So in short, I just want to bring the "why do we need buses for the kids, exactly?" monkey wrench into the room. [for those who really DO need the buses, sure, have a bus, but I suspect that many of these routes may not be TRULY necessary]

And I just thought I'd go ahead and make the "When I was your age" rant while I'm at it. Even when I was in KINDERGARTEN, I actually DID walk to/from school, although it was only a few city blocks. And for 1st through part of 4th grade, there was a very steep hill involved.

when I *DID* have to ride a bus it was LITERALLY because of "busing", i.e. the closer school was NOT for me for some reason (overcrowding usually). So the problem was NOT the need for a BUS, but the locations of the schools, i.e. the fault of the school districts and city planners and local politicians.

so we can put the blame where it BELONGS: *GUMMINT*

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon