Reply to post:

3.4 billion people live within range of a mobile network but lack a device to make the connection

Lorribot

Oh good the random stupid statistics that really don't address the problem but support the argument we got paid to make by the suppliers of the service we are bigging up.

Here's some more

95% of people are unable to afford the cost of mobile based internet for all but the most basic stuff.

95% of people would not class the mobile internet speed as adequate 95% of the time they want to use it.

I live in reasonable sized town in rural Essex and I would not rely on any UK mobile phone company for internet access other than very basic surfing/email. Recently I had to tether my Vodaphone phone to my son's O2 phone even though my signal showed 4G but would not run an audio Teams meeting.

As my company is in bed with Vodaphone they had to put a transmitter in one of our buildings to provide coverage as no one could get a signal to make a call, we have 3G on that site and VF have not been round to upgrade it at all, the signal drops of as you leave the premises, i sure they could have come to an arrangement to mount some proper Antennas on the roof of the warehouse to do it properly. Still, out the window I can see the EE transmitter in the farmers field next door.

The cost, latency and speed, and black holes just makes it not practical. At best is a moderate ADSL speed but if you move around it is more like ISDN or even 14k dial up. Also if more people started using Mobile data it woudl get even worse as userbility drops of a cliff as the number of users ramp up on a mast.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon