Reply to post:

Samsung is planning to reverse-engineer the human brain on to a chip

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'm somewhat Autistic (HFA) and so keep generally up to date with what goes on in neurology because I have something of a personal interest in it, and I find it somewhat interesting.

Most of our knowledge about what parts of the brain do come from various people who have suffered penetrating physical trauma destroying part of the brain eg Phineas Gage (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/phineas-gage-neurosciences-most-famous-patient-11390067/)

The best summation of our current understanding is that we are at the stage of a scientist circa 1700 with no understanding of electricity trying to reverse engineer a modern 10nm CPU with a candle and a knife.

Scientists think that all of the important functions take place within the brain although they can't even agree on fundamental basics of what the brain does and how it does it. For instance; the brain might store memories etc by interconnecting between lots of neurons (a mix of a deduplication system and a relational database) and we don't really have concepts for a lot of things going on. For all of the lofty aims of this sort of research we are still at the stage of trying to understand fundamental basics at the moment.

We are not anywhere near the stage that we can actually achieve something like this unless i've missed about a millennia of research being done in the last year or so much the same comments apply as to Facebooks attempts to create a neural interface; We don't know 1% of the information required to make it work but the abysmal and spectacular failure will certainly provide some useful information we don't have at the moment before the person funding it drops the funding.

If it was possible to copy and paste a brain into a computer and run it then I would suggest that the reproduced brain would essentially be imprisoned in a state of sensory deprivation and is unlikely to cope at all well with these conditions; I certainly wouldn't volunteer to be a test subject.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon