Reply to post: @Steve

More than three years after last release, X.Org Server 21.1.0 RC1 appears

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Steve

I'm in the same boat. With 40+ years of Unix experience under my belt, including time at AT&T and IBM's AIX support Centre in the UK, and 25 years of Linux experience, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to even understand the thinking behind many of the newer technologies, and even the direction that Linux is taking.

Increasingly, it is looking to me as if the Microsoft way of developing, deploying and managing systems had managed to poison the Linux space, and I've often found that many Linux admins just do not understand the original relationship between Unix and Linux.

The thinking behind such things as Systemd, Pulse audio and Wayland appear to owe much more to the monolithic design model than the KISS model that originally was the driver for Unix, and dare I say it, early Linux design.

When it comes to DevOps and Agile, I feel that there are a number of environments where these models make no sense whatsoever. Safety critical systems, and systems where the reputational or financial impact of letting errors through to production systems require full regression testing, and I've never been a big fan of relying on automated testing as the primary testing regime. So while you could use Agile or DevOps to get you to the point where you need to do the full system test, having that last step actually makes a bit of a mockery of any fail early fail often methodology, as some errors just may not appear until that last stage.

My official retirement date is about 6 years away, so I'm just counting down, hoping that I can keep myself busy while trying to ignore as much of the things that wind me up as I can.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon