Reply to post: I may need this in the city too

Navigating without GPS is one thing – so let's jam it and see what happens to our warship

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I may need this in the city too

I'm in Odessa at the moment, and I needed to get to an address.

I ended up using the basic map I got from the hotel (old habit that saved me more times than I can count) because this is what GPS navigation gave me at a certain point. Note: using local SMS for Google data stream because the phone company price gouging on data usage outside the EU is at a level that even Martin Shrekli would not have dared to inflict (think charges at approx 28000 x local tariffs, and that's retail):

- TomTom: meh, don't know that street. Try entering it in the local language (good luck typing Cyrillic on a UK keyboard, and that's assuming you even speak the language). So, absolutely, totally brutally useless.

- Google Maps: go left

- Apple Maps: go right

I'm not kidding, the end points on both maps were more than 2km apart. I must admit I forgot to check which one was accurate (I was way too relieved to actually get there), but I'll go there again tomorrow so I'll check this time. After I have walked there with a map, that is.

On the plus side, at least the phone compass worked :).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon