Reply to post: What we need

Cryptocurrency world must protect itself from 'low-quality patents' says Square lawyer as biz joins Open Invention Network

The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
Boffin

What we need

Is the patent offices to do their jobs and block patents that are trying to patent prior art. Prior art is anything that has been publically disclosed anywhere whether on purpose or not, including papers, presentations, videos, other patents or patent applications (and applications are published by the patent offices 6 months after the applications are filed).

I have to deal with IP issues as part of my job and it's amazing how many patents are of things that should have been rejected due to the prior art. We just file that all away in case the patent that came to our attention comes knocking on our door. I recently had a EU patent germain to our products cross my desk that was of something patented in 1979 and expired in the late '90's. Neither the "inventors" nor the EU patent office bothered to look that far back I guess. But the Korean patent office did, and bounced it as they should have.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon