Reply to post: Re: I have a facebook and twitter but have no idea how to log in

LA cops told to harvest social media handles from people they stop, suspect or not

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I have a facebook and twitter but have no idea how to log in

At the same time, you must understand your intentional escalation of a situation—"justified" or not—only makes things worse for you, not the cop. Policing is a dangerous and stressful a job, so there is a lot of legal leeway in their favor. With the pacification of dangerous threats—of which you can be made one quite readily by the wrong cop if you become visibly agitated—including and not limited to turning you into Swiss cheese, just keep a calm head. If the officer you are dealing with has shown themselves incompetent enough to get angry when they don't get their widdle way, getting angry back at them is only going to increase your own chances for legal action, injury, or worse. Calmly tell them your legal rights. Do not escalate. If they take you into custody, allow it—because whether you are momentarily and illegally detained while they perform their "investigation" just to find that nothing is amiss and release you, or illegally arrested and taken back to the station, your next step is to call a lawyer, take them to court, and get a fat paycheck from the state for the trouble. Don't know about you, but I prefer getting paid for my time more than getting shot by power-tripping cops just to prove a point to them.

And let's recall that, sometimes, while it may not be your social responsibility, it is often in your best interest for self-preservation to not get angry at those superior to you, i.e. your boss chewing you out, your parents as a wee lad, or an angry power-tripping cop that you rightfully refuse giving information to. Keep your cool and fight back when the time is right or you will just make things worse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon