Reply to post:

ProtonMail deletes 'we don't log your IP' boast from website after French climate activist reportedly arrested

Nate Amsden

"If they weren't logging those IP addresses and connection strings, there was nothing to seize."

It sounds like they have the ability to log based on user account. So perhaps while they don't log normally, if such a request comes in that they have to get the IP then they can flip a flag in their code/config to start logging for that particular user account, then assuming the user logs in again they have the information.

If you are that paranoid about hiding your IP etc then you shouldn't be trusting a single provider like this, should be routing traffic over multiple different places to further obscure your information, and not wait for some news event like this to start doing it. Also of course use a dedicated browser that is not used for anything else except that service, if your even more paranoid perhaps use a dedicated VM with that browser.

Seeing the anonymous relay service they offer in the article reminds me of my early internet days using the I think it was anon.penet.fi (??) email relay, sometimes took days for email to be processed through that. I have been hosting my own personal email(around 350 different addresses for different purposes at the moment) since about 1997(along with web, DNS and anything else I want). Though of course doing that is not for 99.999% of people out there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon