Reply to post: The Register - Organ of Record

Fired credit union employee admits: I wiped 21GB of files from company's shared drive in retaliation

Eclectic Man Silver badge
Happy

The Register - Organ of Record

Many years ago, when I was employed, I had to do a small presentation on a security breach in the public domain. I chose one, and checked out the press reports (UK ones - The Guardian, the Times, etc.), the company web site, and "The Register".

The regular media were fairly consistent in their descriptions of what had gone wrong (A large-ish UK based company had changed suppliers for its outsourced data processing functions, the old supplier had, unaccountably, not only kept the data in a database, but had left it accessible online, and it had been snaffled by some naughty people.)

All well and good and soberly reported.

However, the Register's forum on the scandal was full of stories about access being granted to people who had left employment weeks, sometimes months previously, able to grant others perks, like vouchers for free drinks, money-off meal vouchers etc.

So I recommended that everyone read the, shall we call them, 'less reverential' media, for a more detailed and, perhaps realistic account of what actually happens. I don't believe that every IT professional actually reads the Register, but maybe they should.

(OK, Register overlords, please send my gold medal to the usual address. ;o) )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon