Reply to post: "flexibility" anyone ?

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

Shalghar

"flexibility" anyone ?

That sounds nice but you would need a management that actually cares about contracts and regulations.

And that is capable of actually planning and managing.

As too many high praised managers seem to be unable to actually manage, the call for "more flexibility" arises.

Almost everything about this overpraised "flexibility" can be seen as desperate or stubborn management trying to coerce their subordinates in patching up said managements shortcomings on their personal time and expense.

Managements cry for "flexibility" should be translated as the cry to not give a flying donkey about contracts, regulations or reality.

Last time one of my bosses called for "more flexibility" and added the usual "for the company" male cattle manure i said:

"If you want flexibility, go learning yoga or buy a ton of rubber bands."

Yeah, grumpy. I tend to get that after more than 14 hours straight work on a hopeless project way behind any reasonable milestone.

We had some "nice" discussion after that incident. This discussion was cut short apruptly as i unfolded the list of management issues that lead to the situation. Always have your documentation ready also counts for proof....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon