Reply to post: Re: Not office hours? No contact

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Not office hours? No contact

"I could have you those figures, but it will take a few hours to pull them and put them in a format that's easy to understand at a glance. Will you authorize the overtime?"

I used to crave the spondoolics but reaching 45 I now say, "Sure I can work later or cover, can I get TOIL for that and take it next week?". I find TOIL get agreed lightning fast 'cos it's cheaper and less paperwork than overtime. The boss can cover your absence for a day's TOIL when things are slack, you get an few more days off every year, they pay less overtimes which makes you look like a much cheaper investment than someone creaming the green in and your boss has less arguments with their boss about costs 'cos you put so little overtime in but got so much done.

Getting older, time is short and I prefer the time to spend doing my hobbies. So long as your investments are topping up well, no point in having the best looking plot in the boneyard I say!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon