Reply to post: It is confusing

Un-carrier? Definitely Unsecure: T-Mobile US admits 48m customers' details stolen after downplaying reports

Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

It is confusing

Both posters are right -- at the moment, T-Mo has a pretty nice summary of plans, you pick one of the confusingly named plans (Magenta and Magenta plus are both "unlimited", but one's more unlimited than the other...) and it goes to a nice summary telling the difference between the plans at a glance. It's not too confusing right now. And second poster accurately describes T-Mo's phone payoff (which is how all the carriers here do it now -- except AT&T, who are evil and list their phones at about the same monthly price, hoping you won't notice the tiny tiny fine print stating it's for 36 months rather than the 24 everyone else is doing, getting them like $300+ extra cash out of you.

First poster is also right, recently they had a summary chart, but with asterisks where they now have info in the chart ("unlimited hotspot*", "unlimited data*") so it just looked like several plans with everything unlimited with no reason to have different prices, until you plowed through fine print. Since they'd also just bought Sprint, they also had a *second* page of plans that were broadly similar (+/- $10 or so on the price, similar features.. but look at the fine print and since it was a different cell co the throttle speeds, cutoffs, etc. are all a little different; the Sprint plans tended to have far more full-speed hotspot.) I don't blame T-Mo on this one though, it's better to keep old plans their just-purchases customers may want available than to immediately ditch them.

Not that the other carriers are better -- I have Verizon Wireless, and they now have *five* unlimited plans, a set of limited data plans, seperate plans for "connected devices", tablets, hotspots (one with unlimited data, but only available based on where you live -- which makes a bit of sense, their network is a tad congested in some areas and selling unlimited home internet in those areas would not be great.) I'm in a sweet grandfathered plan, but *that's* confusing!

The surprise to me is that it was the T-Mo side cracked into -- Sprint's been infamous for having a mess of a backend system for 10+ years, and I honestly just assumed it was the Sprint side cracked into.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon