Reply to post: Location data is useless...

Before I agree to let your app track me everywhere, I want something 'special' in return (winks)…

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Location data is useless...

...in many case for me. Click here to find your nearest branch, the website says breathlessly. It then highlights the nearest three branches, all less than one mile away and helpfully shows a map indicating they are all across the river, about a 10 mile drive to get to, while not bothering to mention the one 1.5 miles in the other direction that really is just 1.5 miles drive away. And that is EVERY site I've every come across that indicates "nearest" locations for ${thing}. Considering that many if not most large cities, ie the largest population centres, are almost all on one side of a river or the other (or straddling one) in most countries, you'd think that these locator algorithms might have been tweaked to take rivers into account by now. Where is the much vaunted AI when it could actually be useful? Oh yeah, it doesn't actually exist yet. We'll just have to carry on assuming everyone has flying cars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon