Reply to post: I don't think the language is more complex

Microsoft emits last preview of .NET 6 and C# 10, but is C# becoming as complex as C++?

RobLang

I don't think the language is more complex

In fact, there's less boiler plate with each release. You can write bodyless methods and even a program.cs without a class if need be.

I'm happy with what MS are doing with .NET. C# was never an attempt at EEE, it was an attempt to stop supporting C++ MFC (good for its time but too tightly constrained to the OS, making OS upgrades more difficult) and huge VB apps that had grown up in the world. It's all open source now and that's not just marketing, you actually get to have input.

I'm old, have done plenty of memory management and find C#/.NET Core a highly productive language/framework. Much like I did Java. Not needed MAUI and Blazor in anger but they look pretty good solutions to tricky problems.

The thing MS are crap at is naming things. .NET is a rubbish name (anyone remember trying to Google for that in the early 00s?). Calling the old .NET "Framework" and the new one "Core" makes it sounds like there's an upgrade path, there isn't. Then there is .NET Standard etc etc. And then the numbering goes out the window too. Core 1,2,3... errr (need to avoid confusion with .NET Framework)... 5,6? Entity Framework is just as nonsensical. Whoever is in charge of naming needs to sit down and be talked to sternly over a cup of tea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon