Reply to post: Re: To be fair

Bezos offers to knock $2bn off his bill to NASA to stay in the running for Moon contract

eldakka

Re: To be fair

This reminds me of a story a Naval Officer (actual navy and vessel classes being omitted to stop anyone getting in trouble) friend of mine told me.

In a new ship class from the 90's, the specification for the brightness (candle-power I think it was) for the bridge-wing searchlights accidentally had an extra '0' added in, so the searchlights ordered were an order of magnitude brighter than wanted.

This resulted in extremely expensive searchlight bulbs (and the searchlights themselves to handle the extra heat). The bulbs were custom made for this class due to the extra '0'. The gas in the manufactured bulbs was at such a high pressure, that replacement bulbs had to be treated and handled as dangerous explosives. The pressure was such that dropping one was like letting a hand-grenade off, shards of glass would go flying at high velocities for 10's of metre's and could most certainly kill someone nearby.

The searchlights were so powerful, that my friend used phrases like "could light up the cliffs at ********** from 20km out to sea". and that they could "boil the paint off any nearby anchored ship they shone them on".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon