Reply to post:

84-year-old fined €250,000 for keeping Nazi war machines – including tank – in basement

Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

I was thinking of the Pz.7; but my German is terrible so its colloquial English names may have lost something in translation.

It's hard to say where the Maus would've gone had it ever progressed beyond the prototype stage; it seemed more of a statement than anything as it was just a bit impractical. Still, not as much as the Ratte: I suspect they might've eventually built just one for bragging rights similar to their railway guns which would've been something to see, but it was pretty way out there.

Dunno what would've been the actual progression; there's been a lot of speculation about where the "E" tanks might've gone, though the time might've been better spent sorting out the engines of the existing tanks. Not that there was anything wrong with Dr Maybach's V12, just that it was designed for a much lighter vehicle. I understand he strongly protested that it wasn't enough for the increased weight and wanted a V16 of the same design but was overruled on the basis it would increase the vehicle weight too much. Hmm, that was a bit of a case of me doing an "I'll counter the speculation with half-remembered factlets that I wasn't really paying attention to at the time anyway." :|

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon