Reply to post:

Microsoft to require proof of vaccination from on-site staff, pushes back full reopening

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I don't think you understand what "whataboutism" means, as dumb as the usage of that word is in any case. "Whataboutism" is the supposed logical flaw of using another example to illustrate your point.

For example - if you tell me "we need to reduce CO2 NOW", and I say "that's great, but what about China", then that's "whataboutism", and apparently that's bad, and means in this case that we need to ignore the ever-increasing CO2 output of that country.

Anyway. What you really want is some figures, and as I'm not the type to say "well, I'm right and you need to do your research", here is what I know:

The risk profile of Covid itself compared to the vaccine varies tremendously with age (and other factors, but it seems age is by far the biggest one). The IFR of Covid for my age group, which is 0.07%, is tiny enough to start with. The IFR is even less worrying than the published figure, because all of these are for "deaths WITH Covid", which is far from a death OF Covid.

Right off the bat, that in itself does not induce me to get a Covid vaccine. It's un-necessary medical treatment.

Incidences of death or serious side-effects with the vaccine are apparently (and as far as we know) even lower, although some outcomes are worse for younger men.

UK Yellow Card data is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting#analysis-of-data

As I am still not convinced about the long-term effects of the vaccine (and especially as a close relative has had a very bad reaction), I have decided to take my chances with Covid. Maybe I'll take the vaccine in 2 years, when its effects are more understood. Obviously, that won't happen, as we'll be on our 5th booster with a brand-new mix of mRNA vaccines by then, and the cycle will continue for as long as we keep pouring money into Big Pharma.

If, however, you are 75 years old, your approx. 3% IFR with Covid might change your mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon