Reply to post: Re: It didn't help my studies much either

Chinese state media describes gaming as 'spiritual opium' that stunts education and destroys families

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: It didn't help my studies much either

"I'm sure that all those teenagers glued to their smartphones will suffer no consequences at all."

The pervasiveness of loot boxes, gambling and spending money in current games is an area where I beg to differ

Gambling addictions are already a recognised problem and many of these things exploit our natural tendency to go for rewards, etc

Translating this as "spiritual opium" doesn't even come close to describing how the Chinese government is portraying this

'Opium' is more-or-less synonomous with "deadly poison" in Chinese society thanks to the opium wars and the Century of Humiliation. This kind of tag is tantamount to a western government calling games publishers crack or meth-pushers (and gamers, crackheads/tweakers)

(Even comparing the kneejerk reaction to "opium" to our reaction to "crackheads" or "methheads" isn't close to how bad the connotations are for chinese, but it may give some idea)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon