Reply to post:

UK chancellor: Getting back to the altar of corporate dreams (the office) will boost young folks' careers

Nifty Silver badge

"Also the social life after work where you build up most of your working relationships"

Your mileage obviously varied from mine. For 20 years I worked in varying grades of soul-less office park buildings where we couldn't wait to get away at the end of the day to our homes 20 odd miles away North, South, East and West. Some of the offices were very nice, some indifferent. After work, social life with colleagues there was mostly none. And tbh I wasn't really expecting a university type experience (where I did meet long term friends). I had a family and home life after working hours anyway and was glad of the contrast.

But yeah, some social relationships did develop during working hours, mostly in the early days when it was a small office closer to our homes. Endless mergers and acquisitions semed to put an end to that however.

Politicians at the moment are grasping onto the example of the young creative/knowledge worker that needs to learn the ropes. Because if them we all need to be in an office 3/5. A fair use-case for face to face working, but how much does this represent the whole of the real job market?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon